[horde] Two problems : language and TOS on first login

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 3 07:39:16 PDT 2003

Quoting Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com>:

> Language auto-negociation may be desirable if you are expecting your
> audience to be linguistically diverse (ie a commercial webmail service)
> but most of the time this is not the case (ie an entreprise, a school,
> etc).

Your school isn't linguistically diverse?  How sad...  Heck, my wife's
company is very linguistically diverse, and it's a fairly small (1000
employee) company.  (Me, I work for a school).

> Personnally, I never liked language auto-negociation.  I feel it make
> the Web server take decision in my place.

But how is that different than someone else (the admin) making the
decision in your place?  Your argument only makes sense if you are
the admin.

> I prefer to explicitely
> choose the language in which I want the site displayed myself, but
> that's just me.

So set your language in your browser.  Even in most internet cafes and
the like that I've been to this is possible.  Sure, it is an extra step,
but it is the only way to put the user in control, rather than the admin.