[horde] Two problems : language and TOS on first login

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:31:22 PDT 2003

Quoting Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com>:

> You miss the point.  A student requesting service from his institution
> expect to be addressed in the language in use at his institution.

Strange that you post from a bilingual area where most public pages are
mandated to be bilingual and you want to force, or at least default,
a single language on people, no?

Would I have to translate my site into Texan?  I sure hope not.
("Welcome to Horde!  Y'all login now!" or "Y'all logged out now.  Y'all
come back real soon now, ya hear?")

> 3. User is proficient enough to change the required setting in his
> browser.

Or cares to do so.

> Again, this is very unlikely of most user (subscriber of this
> list does not qualify as "most user";

Then you haven't been reading this list long enough. ;)

> I am talking about your mom, a

My mother has been a computer consultant for 25 years, I think she can handle
it.

> random student, etc).

Most random students here handle it fine.  Strangely, most can't figure out
how to login, but most can figure out how to change the language ;)

> Since this as about how the user is greeted, once the form is displayed
> it's too late to go back.

True.  But that works both ways.  Once you force French on the guy who
wants (even expects) English, it's too late to go back (languages used
just an example).

> The user just choose another language from
> the drop-down menu.

And the problem with that is?  Hmm...  We're so nice that we try to honor
your preference (set in your browser) for the language you want, and even
then let you change it after that in case you want something else.  We even
let you save the language you want once you login, so it will apply to all
future logins.  What could be more respectful to the user than that?

> Since the login form is the entrance to your Horde installation, I think
> it is reasonnable to think that the site admin should have some control
> about how it is displayed.

You have the code, you have complete control.  You can change the code to
do exactly what you want.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics