[horde] (no subject)

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Nov 10 16:46:18 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 ml at a019.hostcentral.com wrote:

> We are a small ISP trying to set up Horde with Cyrus 2 and SASL on
> FreeBSD-stable for our customers.

We use Cyrus and Horde here successfully.  See comments below.

> So far imapd works, a few mailboxes created and we are able to connect to the
> horde interface and send/receive mail.
>
> Questions:
> 1. User creating a folder must specify "INBOX.[foldername]". Can this be
> changed?
> 2. Must all folders created by a user be under INBOX?

With the default Cyrus configuration, all folders are subfolders of INBOX.
If you want to stick with this config, you should set "namespace =>
'INBOX.'" in your IMP config/servers.php file.

However, I'd recommend changing your Cyrus config by setting
"altnamespace: yes" in your Cyrus imapd.conf.  This changes the behavior
of Cyrus so that, from the IMAP user's point of view, folders are at the
same "level" as the INBOX.  If you previously had a folder "INBOX.foo",
the user would just see it as "foo", not as a subfolder of INBOX.  If you
do this, you should set "namespace => ''" in your IMP config/servers.php
file.

Please, be sure you understand the consequences of this change though.
Many Cyrus users believe altnamespace: yes makes the server behave more
like the users expect it to, but maybe you disagree.

> 3. Admin user cannot create top level [shared] folders. Moreover, when you log
> in as cyrus admin user and go to the Folders page, Horde hangs. 'cyrus' is in
> tghe admin array of horde/config/horde.php

Don't ever log in as the admin user, except when you are using the cyradm
program.  The admin user does not normally have a mailbox (and shouldn't),
so when you login with Horde it can't select the "INBOX" for the admin
user.  Normally, all IMAP servers are required to handle the special name
"INBOX" and map it to the user's real mailbox (user.foo in Cyrus).  I'm
not sure what the behavior of IMP/c-client is if it can't do that.

Shared folders should be created using the cyradm tool.

> 4. The imapd log is full of messages like this:
> Nov 10 18:05:19 a019 imapd[96798]: no user in db
> Nov 10 18:05:19 a019 imapd[96798]: login: localhost.hostcentral.com[127.0.0.1]
> itz CRAM-MD5 User logged in.

This is probably because the admin user does not have an "INBOX".

> 5. It appears that each user only INBOX folder and no Drafts and/or Sent that
> we
> expected to see. Is that normal? Could this be altered somehow?

This is because you don't the namespace parameter set correctly.  Either
use "INBOX." (note trailing dot), or change to "altnamespace: yes" and use
"" (blank).

Hope this helps!

	Andy