[horde] CYRUS+SASL and HORDE

ml at a019.hostcentral.com ml at a019.hostcentral.com
Mon Nov 10 16:38:56 PST 2003

> I havent actualy use IMP + cyrus + SASL; but Ive read a lot about it as
> I am planning on doing so :P
>
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 19:35, ml at a019.hostcentral.com wrote:
> > 1. User creating a folder must specify "INBOX.[foldername]". Can this be
> > changed?
> > 2. Must all folders created by a user be under INBOX?
>
> See servers.php, 'nanespace'

We know that cyrus could be configured to use altnamespace, that basically makes
all folders appear as if they were top-level folders. However, we would like to
know whether it is possible to have both subfolders and top-level folders.

> > 3. Admin user cannot create top level [shared] folders. Moreover, when you
> log
> > in as cyrus admin user and go to the Folders page, Horde hangs. 'cyrus' is
> in
> > tghe admin array of horde/config/horde.php
>
> Horde admin or cyrus admin? Horde might not 'hang', it might be realy,
> realy slow if you have lots of users.

We altered horde.php so that cyrus user is part of admin array. We would think
that above is sufficient for cyrus user to become a horde admin (and it is
already admin for the cyrus imapd).

Regarding horde being really slow because there are lots of users, that is not
the case. We only have a dozen mailboxes.
However, we would like to know how well does horde really scale. We thought that
it is capable of supporting quite large user base. Is that not accurate? If
horde has problems scaling perhaps we need to think of some kind of
alternative. Squiremail for instance, does not have the calendar, but it least
it scales well.

> > 4. The imapd log is full of messages like this:
> > Nov 10 18:05:19 a019 imapd[96798]: no user in db
> > Nov 10 18:05:19 a019 imapd[96798]: login:
> localhost.hostcentral.com[127.0.0.1]
> > itz CRAM-MD5 User logged in.
>
> The Cyrus SASL settings are harde to get exactly right; SASL really
> likes to use its own DB, and if the settings arnt quite right will fall
> back there.

We realize that, but we would like to get setting right. Otherwise, it's of
little use to us.

> > 5. It appears that each user only INBOX folder and no Drafts and/or Sent
> that
> > we
> > expected to see. Is that normal? Could this be altered somehow?
>
> Nothing creates either of those folders. If you want other folders to be
> created, that shold happen at the same time as whatever creates the
> users INBOX....

Well. Horde's Mail::Message Composition offers option of saving copy in
"sent-mail" folder. If such box does not exist, where will the message go and
are not there any errors in horde log?