[horde] I'll pay...

Henry Blackman h.blackman at chester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 09:59:07 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Warnica" <jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca>
To: <Ed.Lazor at AtFantasy.com>
Cc: <horde at lists.horde.org>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 5:43 PM
Subject: RE: [horde] I'll pay...

> PHP is a painfull beast to compile. It has LOTS of tricky dependencies
> to get correctly installed. Get the precompiled versions for your
> OS/distribution.

I *always* say compile a copy of PHP.  Distributions that contain it never
work 100% when they need more than just what is compiled in.  I find
knuckling down and compiling PHP is usually relatively easy and more often
than not, works 100%.

> I dont think that in any circumstances would you need Cyrus-IMAP to
> compile PHP. Cyrus is an IMAP server, what PHP wants/needs is a set of
> IMAP libraries.. And to the best of my knowladge it wants/needs a
> specific IMAP library, c-client, from the University of Washington.

There are instructions for doing this on the Horde FAQ.  Assuming your
building your own PHP.

Henry