[horde] I'll pay...

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Nov 17 09:43:02 PST 2003

If you have to recompile PHP to get Horde (or pear!) to work, IMHO its
time to start looking for a new distribution. While (recent) versions
PHP might be smart enough to deal with Pear as a special case (things
like the pear version show up in php_info()), I dont think that that is
necessary.. If the include_dir is set correctly a PHP version that is
'unaware' of the Pear concept shuold still pick them up. And work,
unless a paticular Pear module uses modern features, but thats not the
same thing at all.

PHP is a painfull beast to compile. It has LOTS of tricky dependencies
to get correctly installed. Get the precompiled versions for your
OS/distribution.

I dont think that in any circumstances would you need Cyrus-IMAP to
compile PHP. Cyrus is an IMAP server, what PHP wants/needs is a set of
IMAP libraries.. And to the best of my knowladge it wants/needs a
specific IMAP library, c-client, from the University of Washington.

But for the record: --without-krb is the configure switch you want to
disable kerberos for Cyrus-IMAP.