[horde] Am I misunderstanding what this list is for?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 18 13:24:33 PST 2003

Quoting sisterscape <sisterscape at yahoo.com>:

> I posted a question several days ago and have not gotten one response.

Sometimes, unfortunately, it takes a while.  Sometimes, unfortunately,
no one knows the answer.

> I understood that this list was to help solve problems with Horde - I
> could not find any other support option. If I am in the wrong place,
> please let me know where I can go to get the fix for this problem:

This is as good a place to start as any.  Until someone on this list
asks you to look elsewhere.

> Notice: (null)(): [ALERT] Fatal error: TOO MANY CONSECUTIVE PROTOCOL
> VIOLATIONS: in Unknown on line 0

This is returned by your imap (or pop3) server.  Some imap clients (like
MS OE) will continually send bad/bogus IMAP commands to an IMAP server when
they receive non-fatal error returns on them (i.e. cause an infinite loop).
So some IMAP servers have created this fatal error to reply with when they
get continued requests after issuing non-fatal errors.

So, I would guess something in Horde is sending bad IMAP commands to
your server in sufficient number to generate this error.  Now the question
is what Horde is doing wrong.  Have you found anything in the IMAP server
log files?  Can you put a sniffer on the machine/network to see what it
is sending?

It is really hard to say what is causing this, unless you can either find
a log entry, tell us how to reproduce the problem, or sniff the data/net to
find out what is going on.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics