Fwd: Re: [horde] Just some feedback

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Dec 1 15:00:40 PST 2003

----- Forwarded message from martinez_brain at hotmail.com -----
    Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:58:54 -0600
    From: Brian Martinez <martinez_brain at hotmail.com>
 Subject: Re: [horde] Just some feedback
      To: chuck at horde.org

All,

Sorry for the late response...still recovering from the holidays.

>From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>
>To: horde at lists.horde.org
>Subject: Re: [horde] Just some feedback
>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:37:37 -0500
>
>Quoting Brian Martinez <martinez_brain at hotmail.com>:
>
> > The development efforts in Horde are absolutely phenomenal...keep up the
> > excellent work!
>
>Thanks!
>
> > Just a couple of error feedbacks on my installation of Horde:
> >
> > 1. During execution of install-packages.php under the framework I get
>the
> > following error:
> >
> > Installing RPC:
> > failed to write /usr/share/pear/Horde/RPC/.tmpsoap.php
>
>This should be fixed now.
>
> > 2.  The Mottle component gives the following error:
>
>Mottle has never been worked on by the person who proposed the module. It
>needs
>some help.

Anytime these projects need help with docs, cleanup, or just plain grunt
work let me know!

> > Hopes and desires:
> >
> > 1.  That the User Administration page be "tabbed".
>
>With what in the tabs? Patch?

The "Users in the System" and the "Add a new user" should be tabbed.

> > 2.  That Thor (projects) get more attention, I feel it is absolutely
> > critical!
>
>It's a very new project, help is welcome.
>
> > 3.  That a Documentation component be included/started.
>
>That's a very, very vague statement. We have docs/ directories. What kind
>of
>documentation are you talking about?

A good example of a document management system is a Sourceforge project
called Owl Intranet Knowledgebase - it tracks changes, performs check-in/out
of documents, maintains user-level access, etc.
http://owl.sourceforge.net/

> > 4.  That Mottle gets updated.
>
>See above.
>
> > 5.  That Luxor gets more language modules. esp. Java.
>
>Go for it. :)
>
> > 6.  That the seup can handle installations behind proxies, ie. Jonah,
>Klutz.
>
>Eh?

My experience with Jonah:  that it won't fetch articles if the Horde server
sits on an internal LAN isolated from the internet by a firewall.  Most
installer software ie. Netscape, Ximian, etc. can be configured to become
proxy aware if the user is sitting behind a firewall.   It would be nice if
the Horde configuration included the ability to run the Horde server from
behind a firewall/proxy.

>-chuck
>
>--
>Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
>"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe
>
>--

Say “goodbye” to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.

----- End forwarded message -----

-chuck