[horde] Imap

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Tue Dec 2 06:23:25 PST 2003

My choice is Cyrus imapd.  It is very RFC-compliant and pack a lot of
feature :

- ACL and shared folders;
- Mail quota separate from the filesystem;
- IMAP folder annotation;
- Sieve email filtering script (replace yucky procmail very nicely);
- Messages can be indexed for very fast full-text search;
- Single-instance store (same message hardlinked in multiple mailboxes)
  save disk space;
- Some clustering capability (not HA though) with Cyrus Murder;
- IMAP, POP and NNTP server all available with SSL or STARTTLS;
- Virtual domain support in the newer 2.2.x branch;
- Very flexible (if a little hairy) authentication system based on SASL.
  It can authenticate against just about anything : PAM, LDAP, Kerberos,
  etc.  Accept various SASL encrypted authentication mechanism from
  clients.

Etc, etc.  It's not exactly easy to configure (although Simon Matter's
rpms from RedHat are pretty close to) and the administrative tools maybe
be a little lacking, but this is industrial-level stuff.  Apple bundle
Cyrus imapd as the IMAP daemon for Panther.

For smaller installation, I use UW imapd as it is pretty much
plug-and-play on RedHat.