[horde] RE: [ALERT] Fatal error: (Apologies)

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Fri Dec 5 07:28:06 PST 2003

| Did the best I could.  How do you find out what version?
| I don't see an "About" button anywhere.  Nope, just poked around
| and don't see any "version" info anywhere.

Do you have shell access to your IP?  Can you look at the php files that make up
IMP?  If you can, you want to look in horde/imp/lib/version.php.  If you don't
have access... i'm not sure if there is a way to find out the version.  Perhaps
all the version.php files should print something out so that end users can find
out version numbers?  (and yes, I'll send the patch if everyone thinks it is a
good idea)

| Hey, like I said. Maybe I've woofing up the wrong tree.
| But the ISP gave me this list and said
|
|    "Go here to find out how the filters work."
|
| So, here I am.  How do the filters work?

Based on your situation it seems that you are paying an ISP to provide a web
e-mail interface.  Your definitely not paying the Horde folks...  If this is
the case your ISP has the responsibility to fix the problem (even if it is not
their code).  If they are profiting off the use Horde software, that's fine.
But they need to provide the support for it as well.  To offload the problem on
you is completely unfair.  Any ISP who won't support the products that they
give to their clients to use doesn't deserve your business.  Just because it's
free software doesn't let them off the hook.

Personally I use qmail and rblsmtpd.  I have rblsmtpd use spamcop to deny SMTP
connections to the server from know spammers.  Even after this i get maybe
10-20  a day.  Using SpamAssassin after that marks about 90%+ correctly as
SPAM.  SpamAssassin adds "SPAM:" to the subject line which I use Ingo to filter
(i'm using CVS HEAD). Occasionally one slips by, but it's not that much of a
problem for me.  I control my own machine so I am able to set all this up.  If
your ISP is unwilling to do anything about the SPAM problem, you should
consider switching ISPs... you'll be better off in the long run.

Amith