[horde] IMP handling messages with a single '.' on a line

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Wed Dec 17 16:28:09 PST 2003

| Quoting Tom Hodder <tom at scriptsupport.co.uk>:
|
| > It seems that IMP is not handling lines with single '.' chars on them,
| > if I send a message with some text with a line with a . on it the message
| gets
| > truncated there (probably requires a following blank line).
| > I can guess how it happens, the smtp sending process in IMP just outputs
| the
| > text of the message to the mailserver, and its interpreted as end of data.
| and
| > then a load of errors would be reported and the connection reset, and the
| > message sent as the mailserver would have responded with a "250 Message
| > accepted for delivery" and then processed the rest of the message as a
| series
| > of protocol errors.
|
| Nice theory, but it doesn't actually match reality:
|
| .
|
| (this is being sent via my IMP install with the mailer set to SMTP)
|
| Probably, you have an old and buggy PEAR Mail package (or potentially
| Net_SMTP).

Or, from config/conf.php:
// The 'sendmail' driver usually needs the path to the sendmail binary.
// Additionally, we want to use the '-oi' argument so that sendmail does not
// interpret a single '.' in the body of a message as the end of input.
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array(
    'sendmail_path' => '/usr/sbin/sendmail',
    'sendmail_args' => '-oi'
);

michael