[horde] IMP handling messages with a single '.' on a line

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Dec 17 16:08:49 PST 2003

Quoting Tom Hodder <tom at scriptsupport.co.uk>:

> It seems that IMP is not handling lines with single '.' chars on them,
> if I send a message with some text with a line with a . on it the message gets
> truncated there (probably requires a following blank line).
> I can guess how it happens, the smtp sending process in IMP just outputs the
> text of the message to the mailserver, and its interpreted as end of data. and
> then a load of errors would be reported and the connection reset, and the
> message sent as the mailserver would have responded with a "250 Message
> accepted for delivery" and then processed the rest of the message as a series
> of protocol errors.

Nice theory, but it doesn't actually match reality:

.

(this is being sent via my IMP install with the mailer set to SMTP)

Probably, you have an old and buggy PEAR Mail package (or potentially Net_SMTP).

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe