[horde] language

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 18 10:32:59 PST 2003

Quoting Daniel Eckl <daniel.eckl at gmx.de>:

> Zitat von Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>
> > The non thread safe prerequisite is php, not gettext.  I don't think we
> > can get rid of php.  So it would be better to work with the php folks to
> > get php to be thread safe, not to change every php application to work
> > around php limitations.
>
> PHP is completely thread-safe. Just if you link it to not thread-safe
> libraries
> like gettext, you have the problem.

Yeah, a matter of symantics.  PHP is thread safe, if you don't add
any of the extensions which are not.  But since the extensions are
what make it most useful, is it really php without them?

Technically you are correct.

> So gettext library has to become thread-safe to eliminate this problem. Or
> you
> eliminate gettext. That's the approach of PEAR I18N.

Or you provide a thread-safe interface between then.

> Okay, no problem with this. That was all I was saying, too. I only suggested
> second way beside of the proper one.

Which is good.  It is good to toss out suggestions.  Just be prepared for
the response to your suggestions, which can range from a firm no, to a
patch request from you, to resounding agreement with your suggestion. :)

I certainly don't want to stop suggestions.  While we don't use all of
them, we certainly do use many of them, and others spark conversation that
ultimately helps the project.  But sometimes they do get shot down...

> I think chuck and you are a little bit on edge these days... As I said to
> Chuck
> already: Please don't take all those suggestions as a private criticism. If
> you
> don't want to work around someone else's problem, then that's okay. But
> that's
> no reason for me not to suggest it.

Completely agree.  Please keep the suggestions coming. ;)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!