[horde] Progress with "You must configure a Category backend to use Horde." error

Shane Boulter sboulter at ariasolutions.com
Sat Jan 10 23:52:29 PST 2004

Ok I've been reading the mailing list's regarding this error message and
I've gotten about as far as everyone else having this problem.  I did
however find out where and why the message is happening. I just don't
have enough php programming experience to fix it.

In the file Perms.php on line 49 there is an if statement to check if a
category driver has been set.  Even though it's been declared in the
conf.php file it always returns blank.  If I comment out the check and
hard code the $driver to be 'sql' on line 53 I will get a different
error about not being able to read another $conf['blah']['blah']
parameter.  So obviously I'm not able to read any of the configuration
parameters.

If the HEAD release is working for some people then it seems to me to be
  possibly a php setting that is different.  Just like the other's
though the test.php says that everything is fine.

Here is a quick list of my machine specs:

Redhat 7.3
Apache 2.0.48
php 4.3.1

Hopefully someone with some more knowledge about the inner workings on
Horde and/or PHP can shed some more light on this.

Shane