[horde] ldap vs. SQL backend

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Fri Feb 13 13:00:56 PST 2004

Well i'll take the first bite on this one:

I use both in my environment because as you mentioned both have their strength's
and weaknesses.  I use LDAP for authentication and for Turba, but use MySQL for
everything else.  Probably the main reason why I use LDAP is that almost any
decent MUA can read an addressbook from an LDAP server.  So for those who still
cling onto virus infested MUA's (Outlook) they are still able to access the
directory.

But as far as other things go, you would only use LDAP for speed and
replication.  The support for LDAP in the various horde projects is OK, most of
the emphasis is put on SQL but there are folks out there who do use it.

Amith