[horde] Horde is really really slow on my machine.

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 28 21:33:50 PST 2004

Quoting Christopher Huyler <chris at huyler.net>:

> Hi all, I finally got horde/imp installed on my project server and was very
> disappointed at how slow it runs.

This can be caused by many things.

> Granted I am working with a slow machine,
> but my other php/mysql pages load very fast and Outlook connects very
> quickly to imap.

If everything runs slow, then there is either a problem, or your
authentication
method is slow.

> CPU: 2 x SuperSparc 50MHz
> RAM: 128MB

Whether that is fast enough depends on what you want to do.  I sure wouldn't
try to support many users on that.  But if you just want to use it for a
small number of users it may be sufficient.

> Basically every page takes about 10-15 seconds to load.  This doesn't seem
> right to me.

May or may not be.  You'd need to explain more what "each page" means (horde
pages, IMP pages, other horde app pages, each and every page across multiple
apps, etc).

> Is this machine too slow for horde or is there something I can do to speed
> things up?

If it is too slow depends on your needs and expectations.  There are of
course things you can do to speed it up.  But you've not given enough info
to tell if the problem is with horde, php, authentication, the machine
resources, or elsewhere.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics