[horde] Horde is really really slow on my machine.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon Mar 1 09:33:22 PST 2004

Quoting Christopher Huyler <chris at huyler.net>:

> Thanks for responding Eric,
>
> I was planning to use the IMP webmail for half a dozen email accounts.  It
> will not get heavy traffic, at most 1 or 2 users at a time.
>
> Authentication is not the problem nor is the imapd service.  I also know
> that MySQL runs fairly quickly.  I have a few php pages that I'm hosting now
> and none of them take more than a second to load.  The test pages for Horde
> and IMP also load very quickly.  I can use /horde/imp/test.php to
> authenticate against the imap daemon very quickly.  However, loading every
> other page in the Horde/IMP package takes a long time; the login page, the
> inbox page, viewing a message, the options page, etc.  I only have IMP
> installed so I can not comment on other apps.
>
> I went through the config files looking for ways to improve performance and
> the only thing I found to change was compressing the files before
> transmitting them.  I know my machine takes a long time
> compressing/uncompressing gzip files so I turned this feature off.
> Unfortunately it didn't make a difference.

Have you compiled PHP with mcrypt?  This can make a big difference.

As far as performance goes, I have suboptimal equipment on my machine (AMD
K6-350/160 MB of RAM/old 72-pin memory, etc.) and IMP/Horde is as fast, if not
faster (at least with HEAD), than any other PHP based open source mail server
out there (i.e. squirelmail) at least in my informal benchmark tests.  So if
your machine is having 10-15 second delays in loading pages, it must be
something on your local end because it works fine on my slow setup.

michael