[horde] Horde Developers: Please Read This!

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Sat Mar 6 19:38:21 PST 2004

Quoting Marko Djukic <mdjukic at horde.org>:

> Quoting Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org>:
>
>> The Luxury of Ignorance, by esr:
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>
> If you can string together some syllables in a coherent phrase explaining the
> connection between you posting this link and Horde/Horde developers,
> please do
> so.

I'll definitely have to agree with Marko.

1.) This is nowhere near any of Raymond's best work - in fact, I think it is
quite poorly written.  There really doesn't seem to be a cohesive conclusion
that is developed - it's just kind of a "open source software should be
designed/documented better".  Well duh.  You want to know the reason why
Windows has smarter/better GUI design elements?  Because they spend _millions_
of dollars to do this.  Opensource will *always* lag behind in this regard.

2.) CUPS is targeting a completely different audience than Horde.  CUPS is
designed to be used by anyone accessing a Unix computer to setup printers.
Horde is a very specific application that only needs to be configured by a
single user.  True, Horde does take quite a bit of Unix experience to
understand/use, but that has been a conscious decision by the developers.  We
don't want to waste our time writing the software for complete Unix newbies
because that would be a waste of our limited time/resources.

3.) Finally, as Marko said, what does this article have to do with the Horde
project?  If you could provide some constructive criticism or comments about
what you would like to see improved, that's great.  But pointing us at
a poorly
developed article and exclaiming "Read This!" with no further comment has
absolutely no value at all.

michael