[horde] TeliaSonera violating the GPL by using Horde-code?

Rick romero rick at havokmon.com
Sat Mar 20 10:22:08 PST 2004

On Mar 20, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Jeff Warnica wrote:

> Ah, the ASP question. First, while IANAL, I think it safe to say that
> since this release of code was unintentional, its release wouldn't
> 'trigger' the rest of the GPL. So the question is far more general: "if
> you use a GPLd web based program, modify it, but run it publicly, does
> that count as 'distribution', and if it doesn't, should it?"
>
> The abridged answer, from the GNUs head lawyer is: "We don't know, and
> maybe". You really don't have much of a case.. GNU doesn't even know
> what to do yet.

Maybe?   The OUTPUT of running a GPL'd application should require
distribution of the source?

And people wonder why there's such of fear of using the GPL.

The GPL only covers distribution of the application.  Printing a
spreadsheet from a GPL app does
not require you to release the source of that app to the world.  HTML
is just another form of output.

Rick