[horde] Large horde installs

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Wed Apr 14 11:49:18 PDT 2004

Usually, mailspool on NFS is considered a big NO NO.  I can't explain
why, just passing on common wisdom.

Anyway, you do not need to share the mailspool via NFS.  Configure IMP
to access  mail via IMAP to your MTA/IMAP daemon box (see
imp/config/servers.php).

We have a client with over 80K accounts running on two servers,
load-balanced with LVS (aka layer 4 switch).  Both frontend serve as
MTA, IMAP daemon (although the mail is not stored locally; this is a
Cyrus Murder) and Horde server.  I would tend to believe that serving
10K Horde accounts on a single machine with decent hardware (dual CPU
and 4 GB RAM) would be entirely possible.

This is, of course, dependant on various factor.  What is the volume of
mail ?  Which IMAP daemon do you plan to use ? Is the usage pattern of
your users heavy (large mailbox, frequent search, etc) ?  Are they going
to read their mail with IMP exclusively, or it will just supplement a
regular MUA (for when they are on the road, in example) ?

I would personnally use Postfix or Exim for MTA, but I know this is a
religious issue so I will respect your faith.