[horde] IMAP Folders

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Apr 22 15:49:05 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-22-04 at 16:44 -0300, Thiago M. Campos wrote:
> Congratulations! This solve my problem, now i can see Sent Items and Draft
> at 'Folders' link.
> The messages i sent from outlook are syncing with the IMP Sent Item folder.
>
> The problem is when i sent a message from IMP (i marked the option "Save a
> copy in sent-mail" , it isn't stored in Sent item.
>
> How can i have a trash folder?

These are two different questions.

First on sent/drafts/whatever: there is no standard for different IMAP
clients and the names of "special" folders. With some clients you can
configure the "special" folders; other clients you can not, and they may
or may not be IMAP folders at all (that is, they are stored locally even
if they graphically appear to be on the IMAP server).

Fortunately, with IMP you can configure the folder for "sent mail" and
"drafts". Sent mail is defined per identity, (Options; Personal
Information; Edit your identities; (select identity); (last two
options). Your drafts folders is defined under Options; Message
Composition. These (or any other) user preference may be locked down by
the site admins.

Trash folders: You don't need one. How you delete a message under the
IMAP paradigm is to
- flag the message as \Deleted
- EXPUNGE the folder. CLOSEing it may implicitly EXPUNGE the folder,
depending on how you opened it.

Those two actions MUST happen for a message to be completely nuked from
an IMAP server. Having a "trash" folder borders on insanity, as the
following would have to happen (even if automatically by your client)

- Message is COPY-ied into your trash folder
- Message is flagged as \Deleted
- live folder is EXPUNGEd or CLOSEd
- Message in trash folder flagged as \Deleted
- trash folder is EXPUNGEd or CLOSEd