[horde] What to do when removing user

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 6 15:01:39 PDT 2004

Quoting Mike Bydalek <mbydalek at mobilemini.com>:

> If you really don't want to do this, then I would say at least one thing to
> incorporate when initially developing this is to at least put an option to
> "Change all <jsmith> objects to me" (or something) so that way then nothing
> critical can be accidentally deleted.

What is to then stop you from deleting that critical info?  If the info
is critical, you better know about it before hand, and have a plan to deal
with it before hand.

> The only reason why I say this is
> because I can see someone deleting "jsmith" only to find out later he owned
> the calendar for AR or payables or something important.

Or, they transfer ownership from jsmith to tsmith, only to find out tsmith
isn't authorized to view/edit that info, and...

> > I think we will delete everything for now, if someone comes
> > up with a patch for a better solution, fine.
>
> I think this is far too dangerous.

As I said above: have a plan to deal with important info, and have it before
it comes time to delete users.  Trying to create a plan afterwards, or at
the time of deletion, is just asking for problems.

> Take a setup where one person installed
> everything, from setting up the calendars, to creating the task lists and
> importing all the turba entries.  This person leaves and he gets deleted
> (naturally) along with everything he did (doh!)

That would be considered a poorly run organization.  Perhaps the one person who
sets it up should do so under an admin/operator account, that is under
a generic account, not under his personal account.  Then this account does
not need to be deleted (though of course you may want to change the password,
etc).

> this?  Deleting everything automagically is just too MS for me, ie. delete
> an exchange mailbox, and it deletes the NT user account!!

I'd rather that when I ask for it to delete a user's data, it does so, then
to have my DB grow forever with no easy way to maintain it.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!