[horde] Documentation contradiction ??

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Aug 16 16:26:54 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-16-08 at 16:13 +0000, Julián Muñoz wrote:
> Hello:
>
> There is something I don't understand in horde/docs/INSTALL :
>   3. Additional PEAR Modules
> (...)
>
>      This method requires that your PHP has been compiled as a static
>      binary. If you installed PHP as a webserver module, recompile PHP
>      without the module option (for Apache, without --with-apache and
>      --with-apxs) and do a 'make install'.
> So, must php be compiled with or without --with-apxs ???

"This method" refers to installing PEAR modules. The "pear" tool (akin
to the CPAN tool for accessing CPAN, is a command line php script. Thus
it needs a php binary to run. Read further along in that file:

>      Note that recent versions of PHP (4.3.0+) build both a SAPI module
>      (Apache, CGI, etc.) and a command-line (CLI) binary at the same
>      time. Check if you have a php binary in /usr/local/bin (/usr/bin if
>      if you installed from an operating system package) before recompiling.

The Redhat RPM versions of PHP include both the Apache module, and the
CLI binary for as long as I can remember. (which is almost definitely
the same amount of time as Ive been using pear)

If you are using one of the web based pear install tools, this is all
moot.