Fwd: Re: [horde] new icons

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Sep 29 08:11:11 PDT 2004

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von wayne at ptaff.ca -----
    Datum: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:02:18 -0400
    Von: Patrice Levesque <wayne at ptaff.ca>
Antwort an: wayne at ptaff.ca
 Betreff: Re: [horde] new icons
      An: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>

> >How about we just switch to pngs wholesale, now that we can make
> >transparent
> >ones work in IE?
>
> Beside that this being a *lot* of work, I'm not sure about the performance
> hit if we apply onload events and alpha filters on *every* image in IE.

I'd suggest to use a lookup table in the Theme file (/horde/config/themes)
override the default image names.  So instead of calling

img("myimg.gif", _("My Image));

this could be used:

img($theme['myimg.gif'], _("My Image));

or even

img($theme['myimg'], _("My Image));

(using a default lookup table called before the theme file is read, of
course, so the theme only has to override the necessary filenames).

as 8-bit indexed PNG can be a drop-in replacement for GIFs _without_ any
AlphaGizmoMicrosoftCall/Script (there's only a on/off transparency, but
that's what we have with GIF anyway), a naming convention could be used
for truecolor alpha PNG images; prefixing images with "a_", like in
"a_img.png" might be used to wakeup the IE-scripting calls in img();

--
        wayne at ptaff.ca
 --====|====-- GPG: http://ptaff.ca/k.asc ID 9212A432

Jan.