[horde] Setting Up Weather

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Wed Oct 6 06:28:39 PDT 2004

Quoting "Michael W. Jones" <mjones at otsc.com>:

> Metar works fine if you have the two tables loaded in your Horde database.
> The files to populate it are located at:
>
> ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/jonah/jonah_weathercountries.tsv
> ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/jonah/jonah_weatherstations.tsv

It used to work this way, but was rewritten to use the PEAR Services_Weather
packages. There are still, however, tables that need to be created in the
database. See my previous post (or look at
[PathToPear]/data/Services_Weather/buildMetarDB.php; it's pretty well
documented) for instructions on setting that up.

> My question is, with the nice service from weather.com, do we really need
> Metar (which is really an aviation weather service)?  This thought is
> particularly with the requirement for us to maintain the location database
> on the server (whereas weather.com does all that for us).

As an aspiring pilot, I use the METAR block (and have it side by side on my
portal page with the weather.com block). I'm in the process of writing a patch
that adds TAF (forecast) data to the block, but if the consensus is that the
METAR block should be removed, I won't bother.

If the block is kept, the procedure for creating the necessary tables
should be
documented somewhere (well, it's documented in the PEAR
Services_Weather files,
but should horde administrators be required to look in those files?).
Any ideas
on where to put it? I can submit a patch...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

--