[horde] Problems created by global categories in Horde

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Fri Dec 17 08:10:09 PST 2004

Hello,

The abstraction of categories to a global and shared level, for apps like
Kronolith, Nag and Mnemo is a good thing.  However, it has a number of
downsides that makes the use of categories a little more cumbersome than it
used to be.

1)  When sharing a component (calendar, task list, note) with another user or
groups of users, you can see their categories.  However, unless you have those
same category names defined globally for yourself, you see no color.  And if
you do have those same category names defined for yourself, you see your color
for that category and not the other user's color.

Example:

For myself, I define two categories:  Work (red) and Personal (green)
My secretary defines two categories: Work (purple) and Personal (light yellow)

If she uses any other categories, they show up for me with no color.  And if I
overlay her and my calendars, all her events have my colors.

Previous behaviour was to list the user name and colored categories in the
legend, like so:

User1   Category 1[color1]  Category 2[color2]
User2   Category 3[color3]  Category 4[color4]

New behaviour is:

Category1[color1]  Category2[color2]

If Category 3 == Category 1, then color3 becomes color1.

In essence, there is no differentiation between your categories and colors and
categories and colors for components that other users share with you.  I don't
know if I'm looking at her note, calendar, or task, or my note, calendar, or
task.

I've tried this on a fresh install, since my current install has been tracking
HEAD for over a year and has all the items inherited with the changes.  The
behavior is the same in both places.  The behavior I liked was in 3.0-ALPHA.

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator