[horde] cpu usage 80-85 in imp Urgent

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Mon Jan 3 21:27:44 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-01 at 09:53 +0530, Joel n.solanki wrote:
> I agree when user goes to high mbox then he will surely get slow.
> webmail will open his account slow. It doesnt matter. But due to this
> user is eatting up my server's  80-85 % cpu. so that creates lot of
> problems.
>
> let me specify few things:-
>
> Ram Memory is = 512 Mb
> harddisk is 5 gb. it is hda
> i dont have swap partition.
>

> i m thinkging that swap partition and hda is creating problem. coz hda
> is always slow than scsi. and i think SWAP partition should make little
> difference on cpu usage.
>
> any hints, suggestions.???

First off, an IDE drive is not always going to be slower then a SCSI
drive. You would be hard pressed to find any IDE drive at any time in
history that could saturate the contemporary IDE bus. 150mb wise is not
a lot of data for the drive, or for IDE, but the processor has to
process it all.

Swap would help that it would free up real memory, such that the system
could more aggressively cache the filesystem. Swap is always a good
idea.

But ultimately: you user has very large folders for a folder format that
sucks, the combination of which is too much for your hardware. So you
can get a smarter user (and its not his fault), get a better folder
format, or get more hardware. None of these are Hordes fault. Or more
correctly, these problems are a fact of life with web based
applications.