[horde] Details of CPanel Horde configuration?

Ken Lowther klowther at cisnet.com
Mon May 9 22:04:47 PDT 2005

I just cut out my tirade about Cpanel and will leave it at, "Don't muck
with it".  They stuck a bunch of 'free' software  together and charge
for it and on my box, lots of it isn't properly integrated to start
with.  (I only have it because some easily impressed customers like it)
My more knowledable customer go on my custom built box.  Go to the
Interchange site and see what they say to Cpanel customers before you
decide to poke too deeply.

If you decide to go more deeply be aware that they patch patches so as
not to break   backwards compatability.  This could cause you MAJOR
headaches trying to upgrade Horde, especially when it comes to data base
issues.  If you decide to go ahead, make sure you understand the changes
in the database structure before you even comptemplate making changes.
Horde changed some database structures a while back and they have some
upgrade scripts.  I have NO idea if they would work against the Cpanel
install.  For example, Cpanel seems to be using a patched Exim 3 config
to run Exim 4.  To them it probably isn't an easy thing to do the db
upgrades that would be needed by the newer Horde installs.  Too much
risk of breaking things for customers.  I turned off the automatic
security upgrades after they broke the mail a couple of times.

Ken