[horde] FW: fetchmail

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Mon Jun 20 15:40:48 PDT 2005

> Zitat von alan walters <alan at aillweecave.ie>:
>
>> Yep I know about fetchmail. But it was the 'fetchmail' part of imp that
>> I was trying to use. This is not using the original fetchmail is it.
>> More the horde framework.
>>
>> So do we think it would be possible to run this from cron or something
>> similar so a user could check additional accounts with out having to
>> login.
>
> The problem is that you don't have access to the user's passwords from
> an external cron tab. But this is necessary to fetch the stored mail
> into the local imap server. A solution would be to make it an
> additional preference if the user wants fetchmail support in a crontab
> and let him provide his password in this case.

I think the idea of using a crontab will not work generally.  At least
our Horde
installation has no user accounts on the Horde web servers, so I don't
know how
cron would really help.  What I think would be useful would be to have
something like FetchMail in IMP be a recurring maintenance task, where you
could specify the interval that it would run.  You can set the sidebar to
refresh every so often and you can set IMP to refresh every so often and you'd
be able to set fetchmail to execute every so often as well.  Or just
have it be
a preference to be part of the refresh process for IMP.  If you choose,
you can
have IMP run fetchmail when the INBOX is refreshed.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator