[horde] imp newbie questions

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Jul 7 17:22:56 PDT 2005

Quoting pcha at uniting.com.au:

> So now I'm into trying to set up imp.  My problem is that I can't
> even login to imp]
>
>> Create one or more accounts in some authentication backend and
>> configure Horde to use that.
>
> I've tried passwd, htpasswd and mysql backend .. all are valid on my
> system, and I've got valid user/passwords to try out.  So I go to imp
> and no matter what user name or password combination I try, I get
> login failed.  The logs tell me this, too (no new information there).

I'm assuming you are able to login to Horde initially and then you're being
reprompted to login again with IMP.  If you haven't made it that far, then
we'll back up.

For your primary mail account, IMP will reuse the credentials you log
into Horde
with.  You can control how much of the username is passed to IMP, by setting
hordeauth, to either full or true.  Full will use your whole Horde username,
true, will use just the username before the @ sign and that's documented in
imp/config/servers.php.

As an example, if your username was pcha at uniting.com.au and you
configured your
imp/servers.php to use hordeauth -> true, then a login attempt to IMP would
occur, using just pcha as the user id.  If hordeauth -> full, then the full
username of pcha at uniting.com.au would be used.  You can also manipulate the
username with hooks, but hopefully, hordeauth will do the trick for you.

> I am a little mystified as to whether the login name on the imp screen
> should be the username of the e-mail address I am going to try to
> pull e-mail down for, or the login name to the horde system.  If you
> could clarify what I'm supposed to type in for the imp login, or
> whether I might go looking for the login error, I'd be grateful.

It wouldn't have to be necessarily but I think you'll find it most
convenient if
your login to Horde matches one of your email accounts you wish to use.
  If you
happen to be running your own local mail server, and pulling mail from
a remote
server, then your primary login would only have to match something on your
local mail server and you could use any combination of remote accounts to pull
mail to the local one (usernames would not matter - you would configure
them in
the Fetchmail portion).

Kevin
--