[horde] Showing html content on IMP

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Jul 28 08:52:34 PDT 2005

Quoting ggarnier at embratel.com.br:

> I´ve searched IMP archives and found some discussions about this.
> I realized that I shouldn´t add "MIME-Version: 1.0" to a message header,
> because it could be a not-MIME message. But what is a not-MIME message? A
> plain-text message?

Yes.  See RFC 822.  All mail messages are text/plain by default - MIME
is the overlay to RFC 822 that allows richer context to be delivered
via e-mail.

> I tried to add manually the "MIME-Version: 1.0" line to
> plain-text messages, and I had no problem displaying them.

See above.

> And also, if I get those html messages on another webmail (like Yahoo or
> GMail), they are shown correctly. Would you say that those webmails aren´t
> following MIME RFC´s?

They are.  Since they contain the 'MIME-Version: 1.0' header, they are
MIME messages.

> Again, I realize that I shouldn´t modify a message, as it could be
> not-MIME. But how can I explain this to my clients?

Explain to them that the message can't be viewed because it is a
malformed message.  Obviously I don't have any say on what you do
locally, but there are reasons why we don't attempt to "fix" malformed
messages in IMP.

michael