[horde] Memory Exhaustion Problems

Aaron Mahler amahler at sbc.edu
Fri Aug 26 13:54:44 PDT 2005

  Kevin,

   Thanks for responding.

   The kernel is the stock FC4 kernel - 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp. I
usually build a custom kernel for each box, but didn't get around to
it on this machine yet. I'm thinking about doing that soon on here,
but I don't know that it's going to be a big help in this case
(unless you're aware of issues).

    My apache config isn't terribly large, but there are some smaller
modules in there I suppose I could spare. PHP I'll have to look at
more closely. What I can say is that I didn't add any more to PHP
than the Horde docs said I needed for the functionality we require.
If there are additional default elements in the PHP build that I
could whack, I'll need to figure that out.

    This box isn't running anything BUT this horde configuration, so
I want to clarify that no other activities or applications should be
causing trouble.

    So far as I can tell, mysqld seems to be using a pretty constant
115 megs or RAM... unless it's mushrooming all of the sudden when
things go south, but I don't think that's the case. I've added it to
my per-minute memory monitoring for now and it's holding steady.

    It's hard to say how many users we have at any given moment. I
can say that the number of accounts that could -potentially- use it
comes from a pool of a couple of thousand... but realistically it's
not likely to be more than a few hundred potential -active- users and
far, far LESS than that number are likely to be logging in at any
given moment (a few dozen at once tops...MAYBE).

    Are there any approximate numbers you can cite of users per
megabyte of memory or some other such metric?

    Is there a simple and easy way to see how many sessions are
currently active at any given moment? Actually, I can check how many
open IMAP sessions on our mail server are coming from the horde box's
address, but I'll need to spot check that frequently to get a real
sense of the average.

    I'm certainly not going to argue that the box (or memory) might
be undersized for the task... but like I said before, a far, far
smaller box than this (fraction of the RAM and CPU) handled this
approximate load under Horde 2.x for around two years without every
behaving in this manner. Is the new Horde system that much larger in
terms of resource usage?

Thanks!
  - Aaron

halfpress: http://www.halfpress.com