[horde] Database performance problem with Horde3/IMP4 with large user base

Luc Germain Luc.Germain at USherbrooke.ca
Thu Sep 8 12:56:20 PDT 2005

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your reply.

Selon Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:

> First, as Kevin mentioned, History has been moved out of the DataTree
> tables (see http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=2298), which speeds up
> history lookups a lot, and also empties a _lot_ of data out of the
> datatree tables. That's a start.

In our database (that was in use for only a few hours before we went
back to v2), we have only about 900 history entries and 9000+ shares in
the datatree, so this change alone would probably not solve our
performance problem.

> As for caching, caching in the session would be pretty easy; if we're
> careful it shouldn't even affect session size too much. The flip side
> is that permissions changes would take a logout/login cycle to show up
> - would that be acceptable to people?

It's true that perms changes would not show immediatly to other users,
but if perms caching is valid only for some configurable amount of time
(30 minutes for example), I could live with that, at least until a
better solution is available (like moving applications shares in their
own tables).

thanks.

Luc.