[horde] Changing login-name before authentication

eculp@encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Jan 10 02:54:32 PST 2006

Quoting Dengel Harald <h_dengel at gmx.de>:

> Hello,
>

> My configuration: horde 3.1.RC1 with  imp, kronolith, turba and nag.
> Authentication is performed by imp over an imap-server. The imap-server
> accepts only a kind of cryptic login-name (e.g. m1423565-6).
>
> My problem and intention is, how to accomplish
>
> that users can login with a user-friendly login-name (a kind of alias)
> to convert this into the necessary form (m1423565-6)
>

> I have already created a table with the original (imap-) usernames and the
> corresponding (user-friendly) aliases, but my problem is, that I don’t know,
> how and where to place the converting-instructions, to convert the
> login-name before authentication is performed.

That is what the username hook in horde/hooks.php is often used for.
The example is just and example but shows how to change eculp to
eculp at encontacto.net for authentication allowing a person to login
without having to put their complete email address.  While you are
there you might want to read through all the examples.  You'll probably
find some others that you will want to use.

ed