[horde] Global categories

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 5 21:08:09 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 20:02 +0000, Ed Form wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 17:28 +0000, Ed Form wrote:
> >
> >>I asked about system-wide categories a few days ago and Jan Schneider was
> >>good enough to answer with...

> >>I've looked at this and can't see where or in what form I would do this.
> >>Can anyone suggest an example? For example I want to add a category 'Key
> >>dates' and colour it '#d11b00'
> >
> > ----
> > http://wiki.horde.org/CustomizingPreferences?referrer=HowTo
> >
> > see the 'horde' section
>
> Thanks Craig, I looked, and, to be blunt, the code is completely beyond
> my understanding - one of the lines is 10 screens wide!
----
;-)  that was mine

You could just copy/paste and you would get the idea but you can
certainly create your own categories and copy/paste the
colors/categories from your SQL db into the preferences.
----
> There was a clue, however, the author of the code said that he'd
> modified stuff in his 'admin' user and then cut and pasted the code to
> the correct preferences file.
>
> Does anyone know where I will find the entries that correspond to a new
> category in the admin user of my system? Hopefully, with just one or two
> new categories the code will be a bit simpler to follow.
----
I was going to direct you to a ticket that I submitted which has a
'default user' scheme from which all users would 'adopt' the settings of
a particular 'administrative' user if the specific preference were
tagged 'hook'. My scheme was rejected by the horde developers as not
universally suitable - probably a reasonable conclusion as I clearly
don't have the wider view and only see things from my own perspective.

I couldn't find the ticket to direct you to it...perhaps they clean
these things out.

Anyway...a brief synopsis...you add a couple lines in hooks.php to load
the default_user.php file. You tag the specific preferences with 'hook'
that you want each user to 'adopt' as their own. The first listed
'admin' user in horde/config/conf.php settings are 'adopted' by other
users and they then can change them from that point. It's similar to
copy/paste the 'serial' data from SQL db directly into the preferences
file except that you don't have to perform the copy/paste which is a
clumsy process - as you noticed with my '10 screens wide' categories
preferences.

If you are interested, I can email you the tarball with the
instructions. It's a hack by a lousy programmer but it does work.

Craig