[horde] PostgreSQL connection limit problem

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 20 12:50:55 PST 2006

Quoting "Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU>:

> Mar 13 19:31:36 sun12 postgres[20954]: [1-1] FATAL:  connection limit
> exceeded for non-superusers

Make your postgresql connection limit at least as great as your httpd
children limit.

So if you allow apache to spawn say 64 children, then you need to
let postgresql have at least 64 connections.

> anyone else seen a similar problem? Is there a fix for it? Thank you in
> advance for any advice.

edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf and change the definition of
max_connections to the right value (I think the default is 32).

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin

Go Longhorns!