[horde] PostgreSQL connection limit problem

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Mon Mar 20 12:30:59 PST 2006

Hello. I am running a Horde server with these applications:
  Horde 3.1, Imp 4.1, Ingo 1.1, Passwd 3.0, Turba 2.1
The server is running Red Hat Enterprise AS 4 and using a PostgreSQL
7.4.8 database.

There appears to be an issue with the PostgreSQL database. So far my
searches for info have been unhelpful. The first symptom is that the
message below appears frequently in the PostgreSQL log:

Mar 13 18:06:32 sun12 postgres[20625]: [1-1] LOG:  unexpected EOF on
client connection

I don't know if that is actually a problem; normally it doesn't seem to
do anything bad beyond making the logs larger. More serious, however,
was an incident last week. The database was inaccessible with messages
like this in the log:

Mar 13 19:31:36 sun12 postgres[20954]: [1-1] FATAL:  connection limit
exceeded for non-superusers

Needless to say, without the database Horde does not work. Restarting
PostgreSQL got Horde working again, but i need to make sure this is not
a common occurrence as. Before i spend too much time on this, has
anyone else seen a similar problem? Is there a fix for it? Thank you in
advance for any advice.