[horde] Sweating Bullets!! Help!

Chris grooveman at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 16:31:05 PST 2006

Hello everyone,

I am in trouble here.  I have had horde up and running beautifully for
about 3 months now.  Now, all-of-a-sudden, it has become extremely
slow.  Every time a page needs to load, it takes like 6 or 7 minutes!
This is bad news!

I am running Openbsd 3.8.  I am using horde 3.0.9 with Imp 4.0.4, Ingo
1.0.2, Gollem 1.0.1(sql backend), Kronolith2.0.6, Turba 2.0.5 and Nag 2.0.4.

The machine is a Pentum IV 3.0ghz machine with 2 gigs of ram.  I have
been watching Top for hours now, and the CPU never spikes above 5%.  The
processes at the top are httpd and perl, and they are at 0%.

The hard drive is running great.  fsck comes back with no errors, and
throughput is smokin'.

I have ruled-out imap, as I have configured a few mail clients, and it
works very smoothly and quickly.  SMTP is likewise functioning normally.

The problem only occurs when hitting it from the web interface.  I have
tried this on a machine directly next to this one, plugged into the same
switch and machines across the Internet -- no difference in
performance.  All other servers on the same segment are performing as
normal.  Not a network issue.

I had a small db error in my horde.log, but I restored my db, the error
is gone, but the problems persist.

This all started today without warning.  No one has touched this box in
over a month.  All log files I can think of look nominal.  No
significant errors.  I cannot find anything that could account for this!

I have rebooted, restarted apache a million times, restarted the db,
deleted and recreated the unix socket, cleared the tmp directory and
restored the database.  Nothing seems to make a difference.

If I restart apache, I get about 20 seconds of normal behaviour on the
web client, after that, it suddenly degrades to 6-7 minutes lag per page.

HELP!  I'm totally at a loss!

Thank you in advance.

Chris