[horde] lower/uppercase problems

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:00:12 PST 2006

Quoting Fabio Pedretti <fabio.pedretti at ing.unibs.it>:

> Hi,
> I am using horde 3.1.1, imp 4.1, turba 2.1 and kronolith 2.1. I am using imp
> authentication with an IMAP backend, and MySQL for the prefs.

Sounds great!

> I have some problems with the login name: I can login into horde either with
> lower-case or upper-case or mixed-case in horde and imp works fine.

You have a broken IMAP server.  It shouldn't accept different cased names
as being the same, but is.

> However, in imp and turba I see that the prefs are saved with the
> exact login

Yes, of course.

> So the point is: shouldn't horde save the user-name in MySQL always with
> lowercase

No.

> even if I login with upper or mixed case, since the user is the
> same (at least when using IMAP authentication which do not differentiates
> beetween lower or upper case)? Is this a bug or I have misconfigured
> something?

You have a broken IMAP server.  Use a Horde hook to convert the username
to be always the same case at login, and the problem will go away (for
new logins and newly created data at least).

This has been addressed over and over again on the lists, and should be
rather easy to find in the archives.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics