[horde] Shibboleth Authentication module

Cassio Nishiguchi cassio at protectnetwork.org
Mon Apr 24 07:50:25 PDT 2006

Shibboleth is a free, open source, SAML-based federated authentication and
attribute exchange framework.  It is used to provide single-sign-on of web
applications within and/or across organizations.  In addition to the official
Shibboleth site provided by an earlier post, more information can be found
here:
http://www.protectnetwork.org/faq.html#answer10
Basically, Shibboleth consists of an Identity Provider (IdP) and a Service
Provider (SP).  The SP is an Apache module that protects the application and
redirects unauthenticated requests to the IdP.  The IdP does the
authentication and sends an assertion of the fact to the SP, along with a
possible list of attributes about the authenticated user.  The SP can then
use this information to make access control decisions.

For a list of who's using Shibboleth, you can check these links:
http://www.protectnetwork.org/federations.html
http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/seas.html

I'd love to see this integrated into the official distribution!  Jan, let me
know what I need to do to make this happen.  I'd also appreciate any feedback
and suggestions so I can improve this module.

Thanks,
Cassio

www.protectnetwork.org