[horde] ldap readonly auth with sql users/groups/prefs storage

. . gamb at chemist.com
Fri May 12 15:50:08 PDT 2006

Hello Ben,

tx for your answer. I know the answer is closer than I think, but I dived to deep into this project that
I cannot see clearely ! I need external and experienced Horde dvp to point it out.

I believe this is technically possible to use both LDAP and SQL with horde,
the first for auth and the second for acl/groups/prefs. I will have to use an interface to handle
users/groups management, and the one provided with Horde seems to be sufficient. As I have only
ready access to LDAP, I will have to browse/search LDAP and store new users into local SQL and then
assign them to local Horde groups in order to manage ACL. I thought someone else encountered the same
environnement and maybe could give some advices : should I write a dedicated driver or could I just
write a small hack into existing driver, or maybe in an upper code level such login.php...

Some words about our environment : we have a web application that is now obsolete
(old techno, not flexible, difficult to maintain as lot of things are hard-coded and new features are now required).
I immediately thought we could use Horde and Horde's Framework as a base, then we should split our
application in modules (that make sense now) and write missing modules above Horde.
We would only keep auth and prefs modules. A Workflow module will handle every others modules
in order to separate roles and apply strict ACL on modules views and actions. I found
something into Horde's Wiki which promise a lot! The module I need will have to be as flexible as possible :
 several workflows should be able to co-exist, creation of new workflow 'on the fly', should be applied
to existing SQL groups.

Current studied solutions are linux based (eg: Samba, Horde, Zend) and others are Wintel based (.NET -
more compliant with current environment).

Any advises are also welcome :-)
Have a nice we!

Gamb