[horde] Bundle names

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue May 23 11:33:13 PDT 2006

Zitat von Jason Felice <jfelice at cronosys.com>:

> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:51:50PM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently working on bundles with different Horde applications in
>> one package. The goal is to make installation of common application
>> sets easier and to gain more momemtum with carefully chosen names.
>>
>> At the moment, two bundles are planned, a groupware bundle with Horde,
>> Turba, Kronolith, Nag, Mnemo, and a bundle with additionally IMP and
>> Ingo.
>>
>> The problem is that we can't settle on names for the bundles. The
>> first is pretty set to "Horde Groupware", though "Horde Groupware
>> Basic" or "Horde Groupware Standard" have been mentioned too. It's
>> more difficult with the 2nd bundle, we currently have the following
>> alternatives (in no particular order):
>> Horde Groupware Webmail
>> Horde Groupware Webmail Edition
>> Horde Groupware with Webmail
>> Horde Groupware + Webmail
>> Horde Groupware + Email
>> Horde Groupware Pro
>> Horde Groupware Advanced
>> Horde Groupware (includes Email)
>>
>> Any opinions, votes, or better alternatives welcome. Keep in mind that
>> the name should a) attract administrators and decision makers, and b)
>> be self explanatory, if possible.
>
> My two cents - I've concluded that getting people to use stuff is all about
> making them go "Oh, that solves _my_ problem!"  In that light, names
> which suggest solutions for particular audiences (e.g. "Horde Manufacturing
> Connect!" is an unlikely example) works better than thing names ("Groupware"
> - why do I need groupware?  What does it do for me?)

No, definitely not. The main reason that made me working on these
bundles was, that Horde doesn't appear in groupware comparisons even
though it is one of the oldest and most mature. People *are* looking
for groupware solutions and "Horde Groupware" is the part of the name
that is not debateable.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/