[horde] Bundle names

Jason Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Tue May 23 11:19:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:51:50PM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on bundles with different Horde applications in
> one package. The goal is to make installation of common application
> sets easier and to gain more momemtum with carefully chosen names.
>
> At the moment, two bundles are planned, a groupware bundle with Horde,
> Turba, Kronolith, Nag, Mnemo, and a bundle with additionally IMP and
> Ingo.
>
> The problem is that we can't settle on names for the bundles. The
> first is pretty set to "Horde Groupware", though "Horde Groupware
> Basic" or "Horde Groupware Standard" have been mentioned too. It's
> more difficult with the 2nd bundle, we currently have the following
> alternatives (in no particular order):
> Horde Groupware Webmail
> Horde Groupware Webmail Edition
> Horde Groupware with Webmail
> Horde Groupware + Webmail
> Horde Groupware + Email
> Horde Groupware Pro
> Horde Groupware Advanced
> Horde Groupware (includes Email)
>
> Any opinions, votes, or better alternatives welcome. Keep in mind that
> the name should a) attract administrators and decision makers, and b)
> be self explanatory, if possible.

My two cents - I've concluded that getting people to use stuff is all about
making them go "Oh, that solves _my_ problem!"  In that light, names
which suggest solutions for particular audiences (e.g. "Horde Manufacturing
Connect!" is an unlikely example) works better than thing names ("Groupware"
- why do I need groupware?  What does it do for me?)

But coming up with _actual_ names, er, not my thing. "mail-in-a-box"?
"productivity right now"?

Any thoughts on who our typical users _are_?  Naming for classes of
users would be pretty powerful.

--
Jason Felice
(216) 221-4600  x302