[horde] Apache/Horde unresponsive

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Wed May 24 12:50:42 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 11:20, Eric Jon Rostetter wrote:
>> Is anyone else using PostgreSQL
>> seeing this? If not, any hints as to what i may have misconfigured?
>
>I see those log messages when ever a child process dies, and some
> other rare circumstances, but they should not be common.
>
>Make sure you have configured postgres to allow at least as many
> connections as you've configured apache to have children.  Otherwise,
> you'll have problems, as Horde defaults to persistent connections, so
> each apache child will hold one postgres connection open at all
> times.

Thanks for the response. PostgreSQL is already configured to have twice
as many connections as Apache has children, assuming that i'm
understanding the configuration correctly. This is set in
postgresql.conf, for instance:
    max_connections = 256

And the section of Apache's httpd.conf that controls processes looks
like this:
    StartServers       8
    MinSpareServers    5
    MaxSpareServers   20
    ServerLimit      256
    MaxClients       128
    MaxRequestsPerChild  1024
I'm not as certain how ServerLimit affects things, but my understanding
is that MaxClients is the important number here, as it determines how
many children Apache can have.

Is there something else i can check in PostgreSQL or Apache? When i
examine the PostgreSQL logs, i don't see anything out of the ordinary
(once the "unexpected EOF on client connection" errors are stripped
out).