[horde] Upgrade script go BOOM! (Debian)

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Tue Jun 27 08:52:10 PDT 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

DAR> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 09:52, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
DAR> > 	I went ahead and got Horde and IMP running on a fresh Debian install
DAR> >(from Debian .deb packages), stopped MySql, copied my old databases
DAR> > over to the new machine, started MySql again, and fired up the
DAR> > script.
DAR>
DAR> Is Mysql at the exact same version on both machines? I don't think you
DAR> can just copy the database files between machines like that. If Mysql
DAR> is the same version on each end it *might* work but is not recommended.

	Doh!
	Nope - I'm moving from Mysql 3.23 to 4.0.

DAR> The normal way to move a database is to dump it from the old database
DAR> (see the mysqldump(1) man page), then restore the dump on the new
DAR> database.

	Ah so! Great - this is the piece I was missing.

DAR> I'd suggest getting the original working database on your new machine
DAR> back, then doing a dump/restore to transfer the data from the old
DAR> machine to the new.

	You lost me.
	You mean get the original script-created (empty) database on the new
machine going again and then "restore" the old data?

Brett Charbeneau
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library
7770 Croaker Road