[horde] Upgrade script go BOOM! (Debian)

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Jun 27 08:41:26 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 09:52, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
> 	I went ahead and got Horde and IMP running on a fresh Debian install
>(from Debian .deb packages), stopped MySql, copied my old databases
> over to the new machine, started MySql again, and fired up the
> script.

Is Mysql at the exact same version on both machines? I don't think you
can just copy the database files between machines like that. If Mysql
is the same version on each end it *might* work but is not recommended.

The normal way to move a database is to dump it from the old database
(see the mysqldump(1) man page), then restore the dump on the new
database.

I'd suggest getting the original working database on your new machine
back, then doing a dump/restore to transfer the data from the old
machine to the new. I'm not sure the best way to get the original
database back if you deleted it and didn't make a backup. But since the
new machine is running Debian, you could just purge the mysql packages,
make sure the database directory is removed, and then reinstall mysql.