[horde] Weird intermittent login failure

Martin Breuer gwprojekt at gmx.de
Thu Sep 28 00:34:37 PDT 2006

-ray schrieb:
> Mark,
>
> I have seen the exact same problem, and also unable to pin it down since
> it is so intermittent.
>
> Horde is using LDAP authentication for us, with imp using imap auth
> obviously (imap server hits the same ldap servers).  Originally i thought
> it may be an ldap issue, so i was going to switch Horde to let imp do the
> authentication to get LDAP out of the picture (at least as far as horde).
> Well from reading your post, apparently that isn't going to work haha.
>
> This is on horde 3.0.5/imp 4.0.3 but we're about to move to horde
> 3.1.2/imp 4.1.2.
>
> Any one else seen this problem before?
>
> ray
>
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Mark Hennessy wrote:
>> Hi, I have a horde (3.1.3) setup with IMP (4.1.3) and a couple of
>> other horde
>> apps, and I'm seeing a weird problem.
>> The horde is authenticating against a Courier IMAP setup running under
>> cPanel.
>>
>> I open the browser and connect to the site running horde.  I log in
>> with the
>> proper username and password.  Sometimes the problem shows like this:
>>
>> I see the horde frame populate to the left and the "last login"
>> bubble, but I
>> get a login prompt again.  I log in one more time at that prompt, and
>> the
>> problem doesn't repeat.
>>
>> Other times, it shows like this:
>> I log in, and I get to the inbox with the horde frame to the left,
>> and click
>> on "New Message" or to view another folder, and I get a login prompt
>> again.
>> I log in one more time at that prompt, and the problem doesn't repeat.
>>
>> The problem only seems to happen the first time opening up the web
>> browser
>> and logging in.  If the browser stays open after the second login the
>> problem
>> doesn't happen again.  In the logs, when the login fails, I see IMAP
>> login
>> failures in those instances.  Unfortunately, coincidence being what
>> it is,
>> I'm having a hard time pinning down the origin of the problem.
>> I enabled PEAR_LOG_DEBUG, but I don't see any failures beyond the
>> IMAP login
>> failures in the horde log.
>>
>> More info:
>> horde 3.1.3 running with MySQL session management enabled,
>> authentication
>> using IMAP through horde directly (not transferred to IMP for
>> authentication)
>>
>> Any advice on what to look at next would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Mark Hennessy
I have the same problem here (horde and all apps are latest stable version).
First with wrong logindata for ldap I got the "can't login" messages,
but after correcting the ldap login data, I only get the "last login:
never" bubble and the login form again.
Horde is set up on new server and only horde is configured (no other
module yet).

Some solutions out there?

Best Regards
Martin