[horde] Internet Explorer privacy setting issues

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Sep 28 09:02:26 PDT 2006

I have a Red Hat Linux webmail server (Apache 2.0.52, PHP 4.3.9) with
the latest released versions of Horde, Imp, Ingo, Kronolith, Passwd,
and Turba. In the last few weeks a number of problems have been brought
to my attention that are related to users of Internet Explorer having
difficulty sending messages with Imp. When the users compose a message
and hit send they either get a blank white page or they are returned to
a new message composition page (everything they typed is gone). In
either case the message is not actually sent.

Through testing we have determined that the problem depends on IE's
privacy settings. It seems that if the privacy settings are at "Medium"
or lower that everything works. But if set to "Medium High" or above,
Horde has problems. That setting controls how the browser handles
cookies. Has anyone else noticed this problem? If so, is there a
solution besides telling our users to modify their browser settings?