[horde] Internet Explorer privacy setting issues

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Oct 3 12:12:49 PDT 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 11:02, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>I have a Red Hat Linux webmail server (Apache 2.0.52, PHP 4.3.9) with
>the latest released versions of Horde, Imp, Ingo, Kronolith, Passwd,
>and Turba. In the last few weeks a number of problems have been
> brought to my attention that are related to users of Internet
> Explorer having difficulty sending messages with Imp. When the users
> compose a message and hit send they either get a blank white page or
> they are returned to a new message composition page (everything they
> typed is gone). In either case the message is not actually sent.
>
>Through testing we have determined that the problem depends on IE's
>privacy settings. It seems that if the privacy settings are at
> "Medium" or lower that everything works. But if set to "Medium High"
> or above, Horde has problems. That setting controls how the browser
> handles cookies. Has anyone else noticed this problem? If so, is
> there a solution besides telling our users to modify their browser
> settings?

I managed to find a solution to the problem, and am documenting it here
for the archives. I needed to define a privacy policy on the server and
configure Apache to add an extra http header describing a short version
of the policy. For more details on how to do this, i suggest searching
for "P3P".

I found these sites helpful in reading about P3P:

http://www.w3.org/TR/p3pdeployment
http://www.awardsites.com/tutorials/w3c/p3p_privacy-01.htm
http://www.w3.org/P3P/
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/p3p-cookies-ie6/2