[horde] Horde with PHP 5.2

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Dec 26 18:31:54 PST 2006

Quoting Muskingum Web Manager <webmgr at muskingum.edu>:

> I'm sure others will appreciate the notice of the issue, but for what
> it's worth, I have seen PHP5.2.0 break a LOT of PHP apps. I have been
> running PHP 5.1.6 since its release without issues, however.

PHP 5.2 works fine with HEAD.

>> Dear Sir,
>>
>> We are a webhosting company operating our machines in USA. Recently
>> we've upgraded our server from Php v4.4.2 to Php 5.2. Everything was
>> working perfect untill this upgrade was completed. After the upgrade,
>> the horde urls e.g. http://webmail.domain.com/horde are displaying a
>> blank page. We've run the test script to see what problem there might
>> be and didn't see much of our help in it. However we did see the
>> following message:
>>
>> "Wow, a mystical version of PHP from the future. Let
>> dev at lists.horde.org know what version you have so we can fix this
>> script."
>>
>> Apparently, the horde installation isn't happy with the stated
>> installed version of PHP. Can you please confirm if this is the
>> problem or there's something else.
>>
>> Our machine configuration is as follows:
>> Windows Server 2003
>> IIS v6.0
>> PLESK 7.6
>>
>> Horde Applications
>> Horde: 3.0
>> Imp: H3 (4.0.1) (run Imp tests)
>> Passwd: 3.0-cvs
>> Turba: H3 (2.0) (run Turba tests)

You really need to upgrade these versions, if simply because of
security concerns.  And how can we make PHP 5.2 work with versions of
our software released 2-3 years ago?

Simple solution: upgrade Horde and its components.  If you can't (or
don't want to) upgrade Horde, then don't upgrade PHP.

michael